Wednesday 24 September 2008

LAB 1 - Kicking a Dead Horse

Sunday 21 September 2008

Today was the first LAB session and an opportunity for the creative team and participants to meet for the first time.

We began the day by doing some exercises on group dynamics - this was the first time that many of the participants had worked together, so it was important to encourage a sense of camaraderie and team work.

All participants also took part in a Celebrate the Name exercise. In pairs, participants told each other everything they knew about their own names. They then went away and wrote a poem to celebrate their partner’s name.




We then went on to focus on the idea of gathering yourself up. Participants were asked to invent a scenario where they were leaving something behind. Where were they going? What were they taking? What part of them were they leaving behind? And what part of them were they taking?

Participants were then introduced to the character of Hobart Struther – an American man in his mid-60s, described as an, “Urban Businessman,” who, “suddenly decided to rough it.” He is tired and frustrated. With every new characteristic, participants adapted their physicality accordingly. They were then each given one of his lines to perform.

After lunch, we read and discussed the play. Some of the ideas that interested the participants / questions that arose included:
-The significance of setting – do we change to fit our surroundings or do our surroundings change us?
-What was the significance of the woman? Was she real or part of his imagination? Was it his wife, cleaning up after him?
-The ideal verses reality
-The Quest – the notion that the grass is always greener on the other side
-The impression of time – the heightened, dream world that he inhabited
-The clichés – deader than dirt, sick puppy etc
-The language (this sparked a debate about the use of obscenities in writing)
-The cartoon feel of the piece
-The fact that it is as if Hobart knows he has been written
-Everything that meant anything went into the hole, so it was inevitable that he would end up in it too
-The significance of material objects – do they equal happiness?
-The pursuit of happiness
-Loneliness
-Finding peace in the end.


Next we revisited the earlier characters from the gathering yourself up exercise, and asked a series of questions, ranging from the physical to the emotional; the daily to the psychological, to help gain a deeper insight into the characters that the participants had invented. From this, participants went on to write their own internal duologues for their characters, written at the point at which they were about to leave their old life behind. What dilemmas or pull in opposing directions were you facing? We shared these with one another and spent the remainder of the session discussing the day, and Tanya gave the group a series of questions to consider. These include:

1. What does 'authenticity' mean to you?

2. Are you afraid of death?

3. When and where do you feel most lonely?

4. Who or what is the 'dead horse' in your life?

5. What's your version of 'Kicking a Dead Horse'?

6. Write your own versions of 'Not my cup of meat' - where a well-known phrase is slightly twisted in an unexpected way. It doesn't matter how contemporary the phrase is, and the more phrases the merrier.

7. Write a list of food you might take with you on your journey. This can be from the perspective of the character you were working with on Sunday. E.g. Hobart's beans, jerky, trail-mix, plenty of water, m& m's...

PLEASE, PLEASE SHARE YOUR RESPONSES ON THE BLOG. WE’D LOVE YOU TO POST YOUR NAME POEMS TOO, AS WELL AS MINI BIOGS OF YOUR CHARACTERS… OR ANY OTHER COMMENTS THAT YOU HAVE…

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks really exciting.

Anonymous said...

FREEDOM

i walked home barefoot today. and it was raining.it felt good.
i felt like one of the hippies or a bohemia or something like the ones from rent. or something.
i liked that. alot.
i was doing something to get out. i spend alot of time looking at the sky wishing i could jump out the window and get out there. or something. but it won't happen cause it can't.
it makes me want to scream. and cry.Like birds. it's frustration. like almost trpped in my body. I WANT TO FLY...ah well.

you didn't make us that way for a reason. we'd be trying tofind you too soon. i'll let you find me. and free me. i want to be alone with you on the earth. CAN YOU HEAR ME?

Anonymous said...

Diary of the obssesed...

i had a cheese egg omlette today with about a third of a cucumber. i really want to lose two stone, i wanna be like on the small side is SLIM. take away the SLM and replace with THN. basically.
i didn't even mean to form the letters in a way to make it so it worked out like that. when things work out like that it means it's gonna happen or that i have a valid point or something. Thats what i thikn anyway.
i think minding the way i eat is like much better than other considerations like buliemia or OVER EATING or like anorexia,
i've tried too do two of them but i'm a coward and i never see it through.
i feel like affirmation girl x190 (rom youtube.com)
Lisa nova makes fun of girls like me
but i'm not as thin.

Anonymous said...

Hi everyone! I just want to say that the last Lab, on Waste was wicked! Ireally enjoyed it. The stage was fantastic, and I that it gave us more of a cahnce to use our imaginations! The workshop was really good - we learned more things about the play, so we all got the general idea of it ( even when some of us didn`t watch the paly...)I know that this is only the second workshop, but already, Im learning alot of tips and and different techniques as well! Its SOO fun! i LOVE IT!! but many thanks for Sam and Vik who leads the workshops and makes us expand our ideas! It`s really good!
Chloe x

Anonymous said...

I Love The Lab!!!
Woooooooo :).
Hey Chloe Dude It'a Yasemin

Thank your for this opportunity.

x

Anonymous said...

Hiys, Yaz! i`m glad you left a message! did u see my spelling mistakes? whoopsie! I didn`t look when I was typing! Oh Well! sorry! for the confusion! Anyways, just one thing: The Lab is awesome! ;)
Hey, Yasemin, dudette, it`s Chloe!
x

Anonymous said...

Lol.

Chloe this is soo funny. we are the only ones writing on this thing. Come on people get typing man!.

Like the poems btw chlo.

Yasemin

x

Anonymous said...

YEAH!!!!
haha i won the shouting compitetion so nah to the two of you.
Anyway. yeah the stage was awsome makes me wanna see that play even more. and we talked a lot in the second lab session but i like to talk so yeah.
had a spare mineut so i'll just post a random quote i got from somewhere because it's made me think about butterflies and rainbows.
"i don't care what is written about me as long as it's not true"
you can see why huh?

AISHA ^^

Anonymous said...

I pushed the key through the letter box and all I have to do now is walk. I’ve got enough money to get myself to Australia and back or wherever I want to go. Maybe I should leave a letter explaining why or at least the little I know of why I’m doing this. Suzy and Ben will explain everything to her. But they’ll probably worry her and say I was depressed or unhappy. I’m not, just tired. Tired of seeing everything everyday, it’s not that bad , a little holiday should sort me out and then I’ll be okay again. Okay? That makes it sound bad I’ll be… I don’t know just different.
I should have kept the key, just in case. If I want to come back then I will need the key.
I have to leave it now, she’ll be awake soon and then I’ll never go. If I leave it for one more day I’ll never go and get… different, be different. I’ve put it off for too long, now is the time to-
“Megan, Megan dear are you awake?”
“I’ve locked myself out again.”
There’s always tomorrow I guess.

Aisha ^^

Anonymous said...

You can use my blogs (they are the first two monolouges) go right ahead!

Anonymous said...

i am a busy lady.
i have shit to do.
i don't want to do it...so i guess i won't..until i absloutely have to, that is.
i'm bored, but i have SO much to do. NO.
instead i'll pull out my phone camera and try to look pretty for my web page.
and they can tell me i'm pretty instead of constantly saying it to myself.
i won't have to dig.
then i could make something like a top or a dress or i could take a machine,...take it apart.... to see how it works...and put it back together again...yh i could do that.yh.

you can use this. if you want to.

Anonymous said...

i am growing up. yes little ol me. of to uni..soon. hopefully if i get in.
trust me 'the most un organised person' to want to go to a uni that is specifically made so people don't get in.
you can go bugger your images in the mirror for all i.
i'm getting in.
i will.
i have to or else die of an unsatisfied hunger for attention and compliment.
i'm being sarcastic if you didn't caych that.
ha ha ha.

(this is useable)

Anonymous said...

the best feeling

i like someone. they like me too.
no need to attach strings. we can just embrace our feelings. together.



you can use =D

Anonymous said...

that made me think; "no strings attached".
feelings are feelings but once "strings" are attached the two become puppets,
puppets who have to read each and every word of the script, exactly they way its supposed to be said. its called acting.
sooner or later those feelings are killed so brutally.

i hate strings.

you can use =D

Anonymous said...

Keep blogging - they're great! Tanya

Anonymous said...

-Put your money where your gut is.
-That’s an entirely different kettle.
-Curiosity and the cat kills all.
-Too many cooks spoil the child.
-At the end of the world you’ve got to give 110%.
-Two’s company, three’s a number not dividable into 2 equal whole parts but my maths isn’t the best so don’t take my word for it.
-All’s well that ends.
-Don’t count your frogs before they fly.
-Better then a poke in the eye with a blunt spoon.

Anonymous said...

i like thinking a lot.
i dont talk much.
i go mental at lunchtimes.
i feel lonley around people who dont understand me.
i love life.
the lab is cool :)

Anonymous said...

Hi leyla.

That's exactly like me lol,
I think too much.
I talk a lot when I feel the need too. But silent when there's no need.

Yazzy

Anonymous said...

Hey everyone,
Desara here. I read everyones comments and thought that i should writing something aswell. lool

I love what we do at almeida its more than fun. I really enjoy the "zip zap zong" game if thats how you spell it) especially the funky chicken part of the game =]

Apart from the game i have enjoyed all the discussions that we have contributed to. it goes to show that acting and performing in theatre is not just reading a play and walla but its got inner meanings and morals that all come from reall people and situations.

Oh and bi the way i had a kebab 2dai at that kebab i always go to loool which means (everyone will be glad to hear) that i will not be getting a kebab next sunday looool maybe KFC who knows. ill think about that wen i gt there

well taraaa
have a good dai and i hope you enjoyed reading my comment.

ooh and i have a lil moto that i have come up with (which by the way Tanya you could soooooooo use)

"Gods got style because he created my" eheheheh isnt that soo cheesy.

xxxxx

[P.S I CANT WAIT TO SEE IN A DARK DARK HOUSE]

Anonymous said...

sally is happy
sally goes out but can't because her ticket won't allow her.
sally starts to feel trapped.
she wants to get on the train.
but the barriers wont let her.
sally starts to feel the familiar ball in her thoat threatening her with tears.
It's simple she just wants to get on the train.
but she can't
she has to wait.
she doesn't want to wait.
alone.
why can't she get on the train with someone else.
what her whole journey has to be on her own.
she cries and she has to wipe her nose.

(free for use =)

Anonymous said...

hiya everyone!
u doing alright!

just a quick word: once again, the LAB is FABO! i defo love it and learn SOO much from it! which is totally neat! you know, i didn't realise that the LAB is helping me slowing down - obviously it does because (here's my lil story); 1 time in drama when we were doing a piece from a play, we ahd to atc it out. n 4 the first time i spoke slowly that even I understood what I said! yaya! when we did forum theater, they said that my tone of voice was good and that it was clear! whoopy!! lol! so, many THANKS to the Lab n everyone there, bcoz, if it wasn't 4 u guys, I would have never slow down! haha! ( metaphoriclly speaking of course!:))

I love the games we do in the Lab - especailly 'Funky Chicken' - partly coz its dead fun but mainly that everyone hates it and I just love seeing their faces! claasic! hehe! wow! im soo evil! o wel! never mind!

I can't wait till da next lab - its soo brill! i love the discussions we do and continuosly learning new techniques of acting n approaching a new style in the world of acting! ( am I making sense? soory if I don't - y am I soory! it'll work ur brains 2 figure out what Im trying to say!!) hehe!

I'll catch all you Young Friends soon! take care, ppl!

catch yous!

Clo! x x :] lol!


P.S: MCFLY ROCK 4EVA!! F.A.C.T!!!!! :} (big smiley face!)

Anonymous said...

to think of my you having anything to do with this is like an english teachers thinking shakespear was anti semetic. you can't bare the thought and it could never ever be true. so i'll just pretend you never even said it.

Anonymous said...

that's like the daiy calling the lilly white
you'll never know someone until they steal your boyfriend
see no cake eat no cake
love has 20/20 vision and loves you anyway
what have you got to gain
dumb people have more fun
jump the moon

Anonymous said...

life is what you make of it so i made lemonade

Anonymous said...

"Look on the bright side! it's always sunnier there!"

YEAH RIGHT!

When I look @ the "bright side", all I c is a cloudy grey sky, with rains hitting the windows, trees swaying side to side and dark.

WHERE exactly is the bright side?! Everywhere I look is the same! man, UK weather sucks!!



ONCE again, I'm talkinh randomly but factual!! haha!

Clo! x x x lol (aka: Angel Wingz)
catch u la8r dudes/dudetteS!!